Click here for Help with the weblog.
 

Monday, October 19, 2009

 

Connecting with Community

One of the questions I've been most frequently asked these past three months is: "How do you like South Burlington?" My most frequent (and honest) response is: "It's great!" Really, what is there not to like about South Burlington? It is an active, community conscious, environmentally minded place with lots of recreational opportunities. No wonder we get lots of tourists up here!

I feel grateful to have fallen in love with this place, my new home. Yet, there is more to living in a community than simply liking it. Truly being part of a community requires getting to know its needs as well as its benefits. Over the past few weeks I've met with several community leaders to ask the questions, "What is the biggest need you see in South Burlington?" After speaking with the City Manager, Police Chief, Library Director, and Superintendent of Schools, it seems to me that connection is the biggest need. We live in an isolating society and isolation breeds disconnection, depression and despair. How do we get connected? How do we stay connected? As a Faith Community, how can we help people get and stay connected?

Families are often so busy with work and school obligations that they don't have time to get to know their neighbors. The elderly are often unable to get out on their own and, as a result, suffer from loneliness and depression. Youth are often so over-scheduled that they miss opportunities to cultivate positive social interactions. The question that keeps coming to my mind is: What can we do?

I invite you to ponder this question with me. If you have insights, please respond in the comments. How can we bless our wonderful community to be a place of true connection?

Comments:
Wow...I am excited that you are reaching out to the community and asking these question. I see this outreach as essential to a vibrant church. Thank you, Krista, for leading us in this direction..
Catherine Cooper-Ellis
 
I just discovered this blog, what a treasure!

I, too have noticed a sense of disconnection in our community. It is validating to hear that others notice it, as well. I don't think its unique to South Burlington. I think it is a product of a society that has put high value on things like:
...Independence
...Reciprocity, especially in legal terms
...Expertise over common sense
...Ability to purchase things that make them feel secure
...Trusting science to deal with difficulties that arise due to natural laws and the human condition.

I feel like there is a stifling, heavy awkwardness between people that results in this disconnection.

I find that heaviness lifted when I reach out beyond my awkwardness; when I realize that I am not truly happy when I am succeeding independently; when I forgive someone for being less than perfect and love them anyways; and when I have the "serenity to accept the things I cannot change".

Krista thanks for opening up all these important conversations; for encouraging all the new things we are doing and for being you and being a great force for God and Faith

Maggie Holt
 
Thanks Catherine and Maggie! It is great to read your thoughts. I agree that we are truly connected to ourselves, each other and God when we reach beyond ourselves.... stretch ourselves... and allow God to transform us! Amen...
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

August 2009

September 2009

October 2009

November 2009

December 2009

January 2010

February 2010

March 2010

April 2010

May 2010

June 2010

July 2010

August 2010

September 2010

October 2010

November 2010

January 2011

February 2011

March 2011

April 2011

May 2011

June 2011

July 2011

August 2011

September 2011

October 2011

November 2011

December 2011

January 2012

February 2012

March 2012

April 2012

May 2012

June 2012

July 2012

August 2012

September 2012

December 2012

January 2013

February 2013

May 2013

July 2013

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]